August 13, 2005

Japanese barbecue


Okay, first I must rave about the new series of Dr. Who. I love it. Example scene:
The last human, "And now, as we watch the earth die, let us listen to an Earth classic befitting of this momentous occasion." A jukebox starts to play Toxic by Britney Spears.

And the daleks! They are actually intimidating. I'm tickled that they are in the series. "Ha! The mighty alien is stopped by a staircase." The dalak starts to fly. "Oh, crap! What's it doing?!"

Also, as far as shows go, I am enjoying Full Metal Alchemist and Dragonball Z in the original Japanese each day. Back when I drew this, some people complained that it looked like a mix of the two.
--
Today I joined a family that knew almost no English for a barbeque. It was a trial for sure. At one point I was eating chicken neck wrapped in nori and dipped in mayonase. But I enjoyed it and most of the food was really good. The best way to anything grilled in Japan seems to be with mayo. Redeemed the squid. Dang, those Japanese eat a lot. I find it hard to keep up.
After dark, we lit fireworks. I impressed them all by holding a bottle rocket in my hand as it went off.
Oh and finally, I was challenged to arm wrestling. I lost to the son of the guy I work with, but beat the father. I wasn't sure if I should have lost on purpose to help him save face. I hope not. I hope they enjoyed my presence and that my manners didn't seem barbaric. Really fun.

3 comments:

  1. First, I agree with Mara up there...English voice acting tends to ruin a lot of anime. The translations are generally lacking like none other... Anyway, Dr. Who! They brought that back? Awesome! I used to love that show when I was a kid. Is it showing here, or is it just over there in Japan? That rocks and a half. See, now, aren't you glad we raided the fireworks store before you left? You got to impress some people with your bottle-rocket-ing skills! The 8th of July was an awesome idea...even if some of us did get hit or set on fire in the duration. :P *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay :D you don't have to hug me every comment :D
    Um actually Dr. Who is only available via torrents right now. Check out the BBC site for info on the show.
    Dubbing tends to be better these days, but in shows like DBZ, it makes a huge difference. THe Japanese DBZ in not filled with contipation grunts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I have to hug you in every comment. You're no longer available to glomp everyday. :P *hugs* Ha ha. Torrents work. I've got t3 back come the 26th. I'm very much looking forward to it. I don't think I liked DBZ either way...the words "dumb boy cartoon" come to mind, but I really can't say anything seein' as how I'm a Sailor Moon fan. ^-^*

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.